- 6 small (about 1-1/2 pounds) potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 medium parsnips (about 1 pound), peeled, cut into 2-inch lengths, large ends cut again in half to cook evenly
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or milk
- 3 Tablespoons butter, or more to taste
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 2 Tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place potatoes and parsnips in a large pot. Cover with salted water and cook until fork tender. Let drain in a colander in the sink and return pot to the burner. Add half-and-half and the butter to the hot pot and stir until butter is melted. Return hot drained potatoes and parsnips to the pot and mash, leaving some small chunks for texture.
Stir in Chedder Cheese, bacon, and chives. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Gently reheat over low heat, if necessary, before serving.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings