- 1/2lb bacon, diced
- 1 table spoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2lbs brussel sprouts, trimmed & cut in half
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Place bacon in a large skillet, cook over medium-high until evenly browned but not crispy. Remove bacon leaving grease in the skillet. Set aside bacon.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Stir in olive oil, butter, onions and garlic. Season with salt & pepper. Cook and stir until onion softens and garlic lightly browns.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar and bring to simmer. Cook until liquid has reduced by a 1/3rd. Add bacon, brown sugar, brussel sprouts and stock. Stir and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until brussel sprouts are tender, yet slightly firm.