Having trouble finding canning lids? With this simple freezing method you can still have tomatoes for your sauce & soups this winter!
- Wash and dry your tomatoes.
- Cut away stem and core.
- Cut tomatoes into desired size.
- Place on a baking sheet, 1 layer thick. Skin side down.
- Once frozen, place in labeled freezer bags.
- To remove the excess air use a vacuum sealer or the straw method (See below).
- Place bags in the freezer.
- When ready to use, remove tomatoes from the bag and let thaw. The skins will come right off.
- Use in soups, stews, chili or sauces.
Straw Method: Insert a straw halfway into a freezer bag and seal the rest of the bag, pushing out as much air as possible. Begin sucking the air out of the bag until the bag clings tightly around the tomatoes. Remove the straw and seal the bag closed.
Tomato season is here! Stop by the markets and pick up some regular or roma tomatoes to freeze and enjoy all winter long.