Make your own pumpkin from pie pumpkins!
How to cook pie pumpkin:
1. Stop out at the farm store or market and pick up some pie pumpkins. 2. Cut pie pumpkin in half and clean out cavity.
3. Place flesh side down in a cake pan or cookie sheet with sides. Add a little water. 4. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 ½ hour or until pumpkin is fork tender.
5. Scrape out and mash or puree in the blender.
Have extra from your pumpkin recipe? You can freeze it for future use.
How to freeze pumpkin:
1. Cook as above.
2. Place pumpkin in a container leaving 1 inch head space. Make sure pumpkin is completely cooled before freezing
Here is our favorite pumpkin pie recipe:
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ginger
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 c. cooked mashed pumpkin
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 unbaked pie shell
Beat eggs until frothy. Add remaining filling ingredients in order; beat just until blended. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce to 350 degrees and bake 45 minutes longer or until an inserted tooth pick comes out clean.
As always, thank you for your support. We look forward to seeing you soon!
– Crisp Country Acres