- 1 cup fresh basil leaves and tender stems
- 1-3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, walnuts or hazelnuts (toasted)
- 3-6 tablespoons parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 springs flat leaved parsley (optional)
Finely chop together in food processor.
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup olive oil (for a lower fat version, use broth for part oil)
Add gradually while food processor funs to make a thick paste. Serve a room temperature with any kind of hot pasta. The flavor is intense; a little goes a long way.
To Freeze: Freeze in ice cube trays. When frozen, remove cubes and place in a resealable plastic bag, removing from the freezer as needed. When making pesto to freeze omit the garlic and cheese if desired. When using the pesto, stir in freshly grated Parmesan and minced garlic.
From: Simply In Season by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert