- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup no salt-added petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken, diced
- 4 cups no salt added chicken broth.
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons cilantro, chopped
Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan, add the onions, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the carrot and pepper, and cook another three minutes, until the vegetables start to soften.
Remove the lid, add the chicken, garlic, and spices, and cook until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, and beans. Stir to combine, then slowly add the stock. Bring the soup to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Puree 1/3 of the soup with an immersion blender or mash using a potato masher. Add lime juice lime to taste. Sprinkle on the fresh cilantro and serve.