4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/3 cup unsalted butter
8 tablespoons cold water
8 cups chopped, peeled tart apples
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups water
1 cup packed brown sugar
Whipped cream or ice cream, for serving
1) Preheat oven to 400°F.
2) Combine flour and salt in a large bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and toss with a fork until dough can just form into a ball.
3) Prepare the filling: toss all ingredients together in a large bowl. Set aside.
4) Prepare the syrup: bring water and sugar to a boil in a medium pot over high heat. Cook until sugar is dissolved, stirring. Set aside.
5) Divide dough into four equal parts. On a lightly floured surface, roll one part of dough to fit an ungreased 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish. Fit into bottom of dish; top with a third of the apple mixture. Repeat layers of pastry and apple mixture twice. Roll out fourth part of dough to fit over the top of the baking dish; place on top. Using a sharp knife, cut 2-inch slits through all layers. Pour prepared syrup over top of crust.
6) Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until top is golden and bubbly. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.