- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 pound boneless round or chuck steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 rutabaga, cubed
- 1 carrots, diced (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Shape into a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine meat, potatoes, onion, rutabaga and chopped carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Divide dough into six pieces, and shape into balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a 6 inch round. Place approximately 1 cup filling on one half of each. Dot each with 1 tablespoon margarine. Draw the other half of the pastry over the filling. Crimp edges to seal in filling. Prick with a fork and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.